Friday, March 27, 2009

My "don't care" bike

Today was my first commute into work of the year.  22 or 23 miles, over some hills on some quiet roads mostly free of traffic.  Beautiful. 
Last night I went about re-configuring my commute bike to be a zippier, more fun, machine.  I took off the rack and fenders, lowered the handlebars and put some larger tires on it.  I saw that the computer had run out of batteries, so I just took it off.  I put on some road pedals.  Cleaned it up and trued up the wheels.  Perfect.  
It's still probably the heaviest bike in my fleet.  But it's fun to ride!  No instrumentation.  No fancy brifters - just good, old fashion big tires and downtube shifting.  It's a race bike again, but from the 80's, not present day.  It's my "don't care" bike.  The one I'll ride when I just want to re-connect to cycling.  The one that I'll waste precious training days to just have fun.  The one I ride junk miles on; when I ride just to ride.  
So, when I did my commute today, I did it on my "don't care" bike.  I have been falling into a rut lately.  My motivation has been low.  I needed miles, but moreover, I needed to just reconnect with cycling and have pure driven fun on a bike.  In amoungst all the training rides and races I do, every once in a while, or maybe more than once in a while, I need to just get out and ride.  And on those days... I have my "don't care" bike.  

No comments: